Family businesses overlook a robust succession plan at their own peril. The reality is you need a careful approach to prepare your family and your business for a secure future.
The 2017 Family Business Survey confirmed the majority of Australian family businesses are not adequately prepared for succession with only 9% having a retirement plan. A meagre 12% have a process in place for appointing a new CEO, yet 76% expect to appoint a new CEO in 5 years.
Not surprisingly the vast majority of family businesses have experienced tension or conflict between family members in the past year. The good news is family businesses with documented retirement plans for the current CEO are significantly less likely to experience conflict.
As a family business owner, you may want to move on and hand over to the next generation one day, but how do you do it? After all, you want a smooth transition for everyone involved.
A professional succession plan is vital for a number of reasons:
- Safeguarding the viability of your business when a key person retires or leaves,
- Ensuring a seamless handover ensuring your family relationships remain intact, and
- Providing economic security for the younger generation and financial freedom for the older generation.
Kelly Grains is one successful business who have secured their legacy.
Don’t leave it to your accountant or lawyer.
They may be managing your financial concerns and legal compliance, but do they have the people skills to negotiate a successful transition to the younger generation? Succession planning is often complicated by the sensitivity of relationships and emotions. This demands working with the stakeholders in your business, from family members and advisers to staff and clients, requiring a specific set of skills in negotiation and conflict management.
Take the first step. Ask the experts.
At Business By Design we look at your family members’ needs and expectations combined with the key business objectives to develop a succession plan for a seamless handover. Sean Martyn has a track record spanning two decades of advising and coaching businesses, and knows the unique challenges families face with a multi-generational business structure.
Book your obligation free succession discussion with Sean Martyn
Let us help you get the succession and transition of your family business right to maintain the business legacy you have worked so hard to achieve.
Sean Martyn & Nikki Tomasoni
PS: Whenever you’re ready . . . here are 4 ways we can help you grow your business:
1. Join the Business By Design HUB & connect with other businesses who are scaling too. It’s our private Facebook community where we share the latest insights, business tips and ask questions about business. — Join now by just Clicking Here.
2. Download The Profit Booster Hacks for business. These 12 simple strategies guarantee more profit in your business without having to find any new customers! – just Click Here …….it’s free
3. Join our Business Leaders Program. There are 4 key elements to the program that guarantees success; Coaching & Training / Workshops / an Online Support portal and scores of tools / An active Peer-To-Peer Network of clients helping each other. To find out more – Click Here
4. Work with me and my team privately. If you’d like to work directly with me and my team to take your profit from 6 figures to 7 figures and beyond … just reply to this message and put “Private” in the subject line… tell me a little about your business and what you’d like to achieve together, and I’ll get you all the details!